I love colorful picture-book style books that "sneak" in topics of "academic" importance.
Art History through Hands-on Activities
These books provide hands-on projects and activities to correspond with a particular artist and time in history.
Each activity has a bit of background about the artist and period; just enough to whet appetites for further learning.
(2) Usborne Art Treasury: Pictures, Paintings, and Projects - by Rosie Dickens
(3) Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the
Styles of the Great Masters - by Kim Solga and MaryAnn F. Kohl
(4) Dynamic Art Projects for Children: Includes Step-by-step Instructions and Photographs - by Denis M. Logan
Art History through Looking and Listening Activities
(5) Can you Hear it? - by William Lach and The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Look and listen for over 40 details in 26 works of art and music included on DVD.
(6) Look Closer: Art Masterpieces through the Ages - by Caroline Desnoettes. A lift-and-learn art adventure with clues to find in each piece of artwork.