I think I'm going to melt some plastic

Ew! I know...here I am trying to get rid of plastic things from the house so why am I suggesting this?

Well, I got really inspired by some fabulous fun funky usable art where geeky nerdy science meets crafty goodness aka "instructables."

Here's a fused plastic zipper bag using plastic candy bags from an instructables contributor.



Or this appliqued fused plastic bag from another instructables fan.



You basically take 8 layers of plastic bags, sandwich them between parchment paper, and melt away after you finesse your talent at gaging heat, pressure, and timing the process.


Etsy has a tutorial on this basic process and moon>sun has more details and hints. (How did I not know there was a mass crafter-craving for this knowledge?)


With a little luck and some skill you can end up with something like this quick and lovely "farmer's market bag" from Modern Cottage....



Or this professional quality lined version from Moon > Sun.




And hey, it counts as sustainable under the "reuse" category right? So maybe I'll accidentally forget the reusable market bag so I can get some of the pink and purple plastic bags that merchants use around Easter...

2 comments:

Gladys Thorp said...

When I taught pre-school we put little beads into small plastic bottles. Then I put them into the oven and melted them down. Wes drilled a hole on the top and the kids put yarn through and made necklaces for their mom. They were really neat!

Unknown said...

ooh! sounds interesting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...